Drowning is almost always preventable with simple steps
Published: March 12, 2021
The Children’s Services Council of Broward reminds you, while staying at home for work and school, don’t lose track of where your children are. Now more than ever, distractions can cause a tragedy in and around water. If you can’t find your child, check the water first!
Remember the layers of protection: Install alarms on doors leading to water, place fencing around pools, learn CPR, and always remember to be Water Smart!
Did you know drowning is the leading cause of injury and death to children 1 to 4 years old? The majority of children who drown in home pools were not expected to be in or even near the pool. Most children who drown in a home pool enter the water without the knowledge of their parents or caregiver. Children need capable, close, and under constant supervision, especially toddlers who easily and quickly leave a safe, supervised area unnoticed. A dedicated “Water Watcher” can help save children from death or injury from drowning.
Simple Steps Saves Lives
The loss of a child is devastating to parents, siblings, grandparents, relatives, and to a community. Drowning is almost always preventable with simple steps.
Here are some ideas to start with:
- Parents need to talk to their child about water safety. “Don’t go near a pool without an adult.” This is the most important water safety conversation to have because it is so simple.
- If you see someone struggling in the water, don’t jump in to help. Run and get an adult. And if you fall into a pool, don’t panic. Turn around, find the wall and climb out or yell for help.
- Practice this skill in the pool with your child. Have the child practice wearing clothing to experience the sensation.
Drowning Is Quick AND Silent
Drowning occurs in as little as 2 minutes.
- Irreversible brain damage occurs in as little as 4 minutes.
- Most children who drown are out of sight for less than 5 minutes and usually with one or both parents nearby.
- Most children die who are submerged for as little as 6-10 minutes.